The Underrated Songs of Josh Groban: The Definitive Grobanite Edition

by 7:09 PM

Oh Josh Groban... the man with the silken vocal cords and that mass of hipster curly hair. I have loved him for twelve years, a devoted Grobanite who loves him in all aspects of his musical (and comedic) talents but especially goes against the public perception of who he is: the marketed adult contemporary music singing inspiring songs of "You Raise Me Up" and "You Are Loved" with the occasional dramatic foreign language song.

No, I'm not that girl who buys into that; I have always adored one aspect above all else -- Groban's gradual autonomy breaking off from the standard "popera" star and turning into a fantastic songwriter and producer. It's those songs that show his changing style and versatility album after album and it's those same songs that are often overlooked as commercials scramble to get the rights for "You Raise Me Up" or "To Where You Are."

from "Josh Groban" (2001)

While the whole album is a mere start-off point of Italian and French opera music which is well sung but feel hardly heart-wrenching against "Ballad of New York City" or "Remember When It Rained." For whatever reason, I find this song incredibly different than the rest of the album. It has a mature earnestness to it, a fluidity to its lyricism. And there's a certain something when Groban hits that flat around 3:20, I've felt something about it since I first heard it in 2001.

from "Closer" (2003)

If I ever had to create a potential wedding-special playlist, this would be on it. Once more Groban sings something that's incredibly heartfelt and that "mature earnestness." Although "Closer" had a more consistent sound, even the foreign language music sounded similar to a lush slightly symphonic sound that we merely got a taste of in his first album via Canto Alla Vita.


from "Closer" (2003) 

Once more with that beautiful lush sound that makes "Closer" a fantastic album, "Remember When it Rained" had some kind of power over me when I first heard it -- and not because of Groban's dark chocolate vocal chords but the intensity of the orchestra towards the end and Groban's voice seemed more into the music, so to speak, there seemed to be more than just the pretty opera boy singing almost-opera love songs. This showed there is more to Josh's talent than just that.

"Machine" feat. Herbie Hancock
from "Awake" (2006)

This song when I first heard it literally smacked me like a two by four upside the head. Not kidding. I think I remember my jaw dropping. His freshman and sophomore studio albums showed him stoic and serious whereas "Awake" finally got the man to contribute to his own art more than three songs an album. "Awake" got him four original songs, including this one. Perhaps it the magical quality of Hancock or some kind of laid back feeling jazz provides assisted with Josh Groban's vocals... have I mentioned they're like dark chocolate lately?

"America" (Simon and Garfunkel Cover)
from "Live at the Greek" (2004)

If anything showed him at his most "Rubber Soul" transition state, it's Josh behind a piano (or drums like in his first live album) covering Paul Simon's poetical opuses -- er -- songs. He may not have the soft voice that makes Paul Simon's songs Simon's; but anytime you can get Groban behind a piano, magical things will happen.

from "Closer: Website Exclusive"  (2003)

A lot of Josh Groban love-songs hits focus on a dependency on the woman he sings about, whether he "looks up to everything you are" or "know[s] you're there, a breath away's not far to where you are." But "You're the Only Place" admits a little defeat and there's a frankness within that belief. "Maybe I'm young and in the ways of love naive/Maybe I'm desperate for a reason to believe" is quite possibly the first really honest lyrics I have heard up to that point. Unfortunately it's not Josh Groban's origial lyrics, but the way he sigs them defeats all "You're Still You"'s and "To Where You Are"'s.

from the "Troy" Soundtrack (2004)

Josh Groban and orchestral music are like chocolate and peanut butter (Josh Groban being the chocolate, naturally!) and it blew up for me in the very forgettable soundtrack of Troy. The scales on this song is amazing and only Josh Groban's vibrato can really attack it. Thank you Josh, you have attacked more than the vibrato.... it seared the lining of my panties... a little bit... *awkward pause*

from "Illuminations" (2010)

"Illuminations" may not have done great on the billboard charts or anyone who expected another "You Raise Me Up"/Opera Love Song album, but I think this is Josh Groban at his finest. Sure, the "opera-ness" was inched back a bit but that left more room for Groban to really show creative power -- including an AMAZING songwriting ability and something as beautiful as "London Hymn"


from "Closer" (2003)

It's easy to write off the foreign language songs and I'll admit Josh has some in his catalog I can't help but admit that some essentially sound the same. But with the "Closer" lushness behind and a little electrical sound here and there, this one always gets my attention with big notes that goes along with the intense music and his upper register that never gets fully tapped.

from "Awake" (2006)

Sometimes it's really about how Josh Groban sings a lyric, before with "You're the Only Place" or that beautiful flat note in "Home to Stay." And yes, Josh Groban is my "heteroception" (heterosexual exception) because I enjoy women more but there is something about him singing "I am not a hero//I am not an angel/I am just a man/Man who tries to love her/Unlike any other/In her eyes I am" that just... oh my Josh. His earnestness in his pipes with this private admittance that men often don't even say out loud because only Josh can and he sounds amazing doing it. Your move, straight men.

"Galileo (Someone Like You)"
from "Illuminations" (2010)

I literally have no words about this song; for its sheer poetry. Sheer poetry. Only the lyrics will suffice this round-up.

Galileo fell in love as a Galilean boy
And he wondered what in Heaven, 

Who invented such a joy?

But the question got the better of his scientific mind
And to his blind and dying days he looked up high and often sighed
And sometimes cried:

Who puts the rainbow in the sky?
Who lights the stars at night?
Who dreamt up someone so divine, 
Someone like you and made them mine?

Love can make you ask some funny questions now and then
But just remember the alternatives
For I remember when I was lonely, 
And unhappy and my lips were cold as ice
But you kissed me and good Heavens, 
Now I'm here in paradise

So if I'm ever not kissing you or looking in your eyes
I won't be blind and I won't cry
I'll look up high and gladly sigh

And thank the guy
Who puts the rainbow in the sky
Who lights the stars at night
Who dreamt up someone so divine, 
Someone like you and made them mine
Someone like you and made them mine

0 remarks:

Post a Comment