Triple Hot V-Spot List

by 11:33 PM
After a good long hiatus, that only means more criteria for the list that makes my vogue quiver. That makes no sense, but who is 100 % literate at midnight?

... An English major who has been drinking...





I cannot explain the magical intertwining of Josh Groban being his typical geeky self through an otherwise typical female singer-songwriter song, otherwise known as "Uncharted" by Sara Bareilles  Also featured in the music video is Ben Folds (isn't that odd considering Josh was also in Ben Folds's and Regina Spektor's music video of "You Don't Know Me?"), Tegan and Sara, Vanessa Carlton, and Ingrid Michaelson amongst others. But Josh Groban takes the spotlight. (3/1)

"All I ever wanted was to be a gay band." - Katie Stelmanis says in the interview for AfterEllen.com. Naturally, the website has a bias towards a "gay culture," making sense where sex with the same gender ends and a wider sense of art begins but Lindsay Byrnes points out right away what Stelmanis attempts to make sense of is confusing. 
" I'd like to say being a "gay band" means being gay and being in a band, but most of my band mates are gay and we've never really had that classification. I'm not sure if it’s based on the type of music we make or the community we come from, but I've always wondered why we seem to be exempt from the label. It probably has to do with the fact there are a lot of stereotypes of what a gay band — particularly lesbian-identified band — should sound like, and we don't really fit in with those stereotypes, which is confusing....
 ...It’s confusing because I have always been careful to separate my sexuality from my music and have always made it clear in interviews that they are two very different things. I am a musician first, and a lesbian second. But I think in doing this I've sort of discredited the fact that being gay is a huge part of who I am and definitely effects the music I make. I'd like to be recognized as someone who makes interesting, experimental music and also identifies as queer, especially because I really believe there needs to be a wider variety of queer representation in music."
OK, Katie my beautiful opera-trained beauty, explain this to me: our attempts at describing where art and sexuality begins and ends is so contradicting and inconsistent in the very art of merely explaining it? Is this just a state of knowing and that in the frustration of keeping "gay" or "lesbian" or that generic rainbow as a noun and not an adjective or an adverb to describe something? If I may quote two Jeanette Winterson back in 1996 which has foreshadowed gay cultural doom. 
"Lesbians and gays do need their own culture, as any subgroup does, including the sub-group of heterosexuality but the problems start when we assume that the fact of our queerness bestows on us special powers.” 

“It would be a pity of lesbians and gay men retreated into the same kind of cultural separatism. We learn early how to live in two worlds, our own and that of the dominant model, why not learn how to live in multiple worlds?”
It is bad enough knowing that you adored opera but chose not to do it for the sake of being discriminated against. I think that would be more courageous to actually do. From repression, no matter the level of pressure, comes creation and good things as long as you keep working at it. I love you and your music still, K, but that makes me sad that you're not doing opera. I've always wanted to experience a woman who can high octave NOT in the bedroom. (3/7)

Blogs To Live By: THANK BLOG FOR YOU!

  • Although from my last opinion on same gendered separatist societies, what is the BEST out of that mindset, comes  Unicorn Booty blog created by Kevin Farrell and Nick Vivion in the attempts of making a GLBT blog complete with pop culture (which I tune in for), featuring hate crimes and REAL news stories concerning the world, and my personal favorite: their ardent love for The Onion.
  • s.e. Smith has been one of my favorite bloggers from Bitch Magazine's blog, and she has officially gained my undying love by sheer serendipity-doo-da  of my girlfriend sending me Get Your Antifemininity Out of My Feminism which has become my personal feminine creed because IT IS SO TRUE! So she has a blog and I have been charging the Glee archives like a horny Trojan male soldier during battle. Love this this ain't living.

"Hey it's Mikala and my best gay friend Ty-ler."

Mikala Bierma is comedic gold with the sort of chatty over-gossiping satirical version of a "fag hag." Or is it her Disappointing Gay Friend Tyler Coates whose Bea Arthur-induced timing and wit under a minute can make me pee my pants laughing. This should be a TV show ... but then that was called Will and Grace back when.

Epic French Music Video 2 Videos in 1: Gaga, keep your hands off this.

I have adored Yelle's version of Robyn's "Who's that Girl" for the past year. And now she's out with new music and it seems like Gaga in a bubblegum underworld. Safari Disco Club album is out March 14th. 



Blair...

...has been capturing my heart harder than ever... besides the fact I could own her Die Young album used for .99 cents on amazon. Her song "Hearts" has tickled the airwaves on that Nikki Blonsky show about a fat-camp last summer and she has fallen into the deep hipster underworld of awesomeness. She belongs there after this interview of some Eddie Vedder-lovin'.



Pimping a local band!

There is no online documentation of Techno Lincoln and the Technicolor Union, which is a shame, because I hung out with these Goth Mad-Hatter dressed guys and female violinist (who could rival Emilie Autumn) who must've been listened to "Bittersweet Symphony" too much back in the 90s for about three hours during the Iowa City Gallery Walk while I was getting high off of bad boxed wine while talking to the artist my venue was featuring, Jack'son Timothy. That is why I drink red and the band was hitting the wine hard. 

But here is a two-part concert on PAtv at the ultimate hipster venue PS1 (Public Space One) that fully makes up for the lack of knowing their names or their mission statement. I love these people!


2 comments:

  1. We thank you for your write-up... documentation in full is always needed. keep an eye out for us as we are picking up pace for the summer... signed, The Technicolor Union...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i will definitely. I noticed you guys played the Wherehouse Saturday night... I wish I was there but I had other plans. Will there be a site/myspace/facebook for you guys in the future?

    ReplyDelete