July 8th's Hot ... Literally ... Vspot

by 6:31 PM
Laziness of summer got the better (or rather worst, since summer has a secret vendetta against me) of me - summer 2011 will go down as the one year that nothing super amazing is happening, but somehow between mourning the death of the Grandpa from "Princess Bride" (RIP Peter Falk!) and going through slight Nylon Magazine Withdrawals, I've been able to come up with a new Hot Vspot List. I suggest getting an electric fan for Novem and Sarah, they will make you *that* excited. Or if its just me...

Sarah from X Factor... Denmark Style

This is another result of the latest addiction of mine known as Scandipop -  a music blog devoted to my absolute favorite area in the world. But more on Scandipop later and let us focus on the post that made me stop scrolling the page, making my eyes wide open with heaving drooling problems... Sarah.

Newly winning Denmark's X Factor and capturing the heart of every woman with a Bieber-esque (yes I made that parallel right away, unfortunately) attitude. And as of this month, she releases her second single "Okay."  But forget that for a minute and watch this. While the music is a little less catchy than I like, I cannot keep my eyes off of her, even when she's pulling a little r&b moves that I find annoying and a little blase in the male direction! Teetering the feminine androgynous, she is my dream woman. And she can sing!

 I think I died and went to heaven....


!Now Streamable! Sara Lov

Another breed of "Sarah," Sara Lov, who has steamrolled over my ears instead of my lady parts, tweeted around this time last night her soundcloud link for her first album "Seasoned Eyes Were Beaming" a clear five stars in my CD collection. Since I already have a physical copy, I'm willing to spread the love for this fantastic lo-fi singer-songwriter. She recently released "I Already Love You" in February. Unfortunately on neither album has her best covers "My Body is a Cage" and a la Air Supply "All Out of Love." Damn.

Current State of the Soaps


Big news for soap fans or is it? Yesterday a bomb full of candy and my little ponies were showered from the New York post blog via ABC with no source or specifics other than the Soaps were saved by Prospect Park, a media and production company that will put both "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" online. Awesome right? The state of lap tops are dwindling quickly and not many people are lucky to even have a PC so is this really kickass news? Even if its true? I do not remember the exact source (journalism has never been my strongest suit) but ABC was said to unleash rumors about their ideal daytime schedule sooner than later, can this be it? Let's not get too excited and keep fighting the good fight.


Novem

 Some of the greatest movies are subdued and full of a "home-movie" charm, if you're lucky to find them. And if its a mockumentary? Even better... or worse knowing it's all just fiction? Novem satisfies my love for home-movies, sorry, or as what they are called now "reality TV" full of in-jokes and amazing ensemble chemistry, something you won't see in reality TV.

 9 college students of Harrison University in the spring of 1973 drive out to a remote recording studio in a house in Franklin, TN courtesy of a band member's Uncle's engineer who ran "Dark Horse Studios." Over the span of 7 days and 9 songs written by each member, associated with Alan Levinly video camera recording sessions and late-night booze and pot-infected philosophical conversations ("I don't need your love anywaaaaaaay... bitch.") as well as one particularly hilarious scene with engineer Dan Cook smoking pot and reciting the Jabberwocky. But all of this fun has a karmic tragic end... the week's recordings never being unearthed... until now.
What to associate this movie to would be the perfect blended mocha between the unashamed youthfulness and joy of the moment of RENT blended in with Hair's fearless attitude of wit and banter. I fell in love.



Scandipop


scandipop.co.uk
 This is my new addiction, in form of beautiful women singing electropop or in Rikke Le's (a singer who would be the Scandinavian equivalent of Colbie Cailat) case, something you can bounce along to. But what is my biggest S-Pop addiction song at the moment (next to Toxic Avenger and Annie mating)? Do you really need to ask?

Alex Saidac "We Shine"



Buddy Holly Goes Indie

 Buddy Holly turns 75 this year and in honor of a hardcore 53 year legacy since his death, Hear Music decided to compile 19 songs of the most obscure sorts - Paul McCartney's homage, Cee-Lo Green covering "You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care)? Is Patti Smith's rendition of "Words of Love" really the greatest song on the album? My Morning Jacket? Really? But in all, this album is a great modernization of how Holly would or should be heard nowadays. But I'm wondering where is that great cover of "Everyday" by Rogue Wave? Other highlights include Florence and the Machine "Don't Fade Away" and  Jenny O's "I'm Gonna Love you Too."





"Whitney"

One of the lesser evils of Chelsea Lately is the hilarious comedians she has on her round table for the first ten minutes of the show. Ross Matthews, the bitchy Jen Kirkman, Handler's personal punching bag Jo Koy, Sarah Colonna. But the funniest out of all of them, for someone who thinks comedy is so base, is Whitney Cummings. She's unconventional, loud, brash, and reportedly the arm pits and sweat problems of a man. I love her. And the sheer fact that she has a tv show coming on NBC this fall rocks my face!!! Here's a preview.

3 comments: