February 28th, 2011's Hot V-Spot List

by 7:05 PM
So every Monday night I'll be showing off at least under 10 things that are making me happy or a voguegastistic bitch the past week in pop culture, facebookland, twitterland, or random irreverent things here in Iowa City.

LA Times on 30 Rock Episode


NBC is slowly getting me back onto their Thursday nights, and Thank God! I've been wanting to for quite awhile noticing the humor has changed from Will and Grace slapstick to the smart low-key situational comedy. Liz Lemon is reputedly a voice for women, as Tina Fey's writing is sharp and witty, but according to the LA Times Blog, this past Thursday was no other but another example how pop culture struggles to find us a situational middle ground - on feminism.

After ragging on Joanofsnark.com, Lemon has decided to do the "feminist thing" in bringing a writer, Abby Flynn, to work at TGS. Big mistake as she, at first glance, was a male-happy fetishist complete with pony tails, revealing clothing, and babytalking lesbian orgies and sexual innuendo. Until Flynn is outed as a disguised woman on the run from her homicidal boyfriend, duping Lemon into her usual "put foot in mouth" style - LA Times were quick to place "Are the Liz Lemons of the world motivated by righteous feminist indignation, or by their own gnawing insecurity?" This is common with Glee as well, if you give a theme too much power, it will look pro- and like an After-School special but if you do too little with the theme, it looks like people don't care. But while Glee is off worrying about a special middle ground in caring what things should sound like, I think 30 Rock did one thing right last week - it's all about balancing on a very teetering subject while still showing well written dialogue.


Oscars

Well, 8 out of 15 nominations is pretty standard on my ballot card. Black Swan didn't get a single piece of recognition other than the amazing acting that was Natalie Portman (notice that her video clip was when she was telling her mother the news she got the White Swan part; how meticulous acting, happiness, relief, excitement, nervousness! All in one moment! That is acting, Christian Bale.) The King's Speech swept the Oscars, Inception most of the aesthetic awards, and Melissa Leo and Christian Bale rep'ed The Fighter. Best moments included Kirk Douglas being a dirty cheeky old man (I don't care what anyone says, I support old people getting their freak on, I just don't want to see it), James Franco dressed as Marilyn Monroe from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and Anne Hathaway showing off every reason why I wish I could play her girlfriend on Glee. Thank you, Anne, for being the unstoned one.


Annie is featured on Designer Drugs "Crazy For You"

This needs no introduction because Annie is awesome, I did not even question her awesomeness that when she tweeted me back about Norwegian brown cheese. I don't care! I love this woman.



Cats Quote Charlie Sheen

Ripped from the radio's "The Alex Jones Show," from the most appalling words from the famous party-man (somehow party-boy is a better phrase for how he acts) otherwise known as Charlie Sheen, this isn't your standard LOLcats.



Best Twitter last Week

jracineui This just in: Future #MiddleEast protests will be blamed on Lady Gaga's new music video for #BornThisWay

Lady Gaga's new Music Video



I question myself in embedding the video, but I suppose for elaboration purposes, here is the newest from Ms. Germanotta (oh yes, I went there!) where the creative 80s inspired art direction in my concern is actually... dare I say... good? It's creative, and maybe I harbor a little resentment towards the first three minutes of the slight original score of Metropolis, but I suppose that only shows that Gaga as a film/media student further. I can accept that - looking strictly as the video. The song is a whole other story (or rather article) based on cultural and humanistic leniency and NOT about the gayness.
As I have written multiple times before, and this should be made into a t-shirt, "Lady Gaga does NOT speak for me."


Stream "Wounded Rhymes" Lykke Li


But let's end on one of the best things that happened to me - or rather Li's fan club - is a full streamed preview of her album, Wounded Rhymes on stereogum.com. You can find the album everywhere as of TOMORROW! Spotlighted songs include "Get Some," "Sadness is a Blessing," and "I Follow Rivers."

Get excited and get some!

0 remarks:

Post a Comment