All the Times Jamie Cullum Nailed Life in The Lyrics

by 11:27 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say that there is no such thing as good music on the radio nowadays. But typically your average radio stations are owned by corporations who need to market the mainstream pop giving the average American a disbelief that there is no such thing as relateable music on these top 40 radio stations (but if there is for you, hey, I don't judge). There is a lot of good music nowadays if you know where to look (Spotify, Indie Rock Playlist, Spotify, Youtube, Spotify...) but sometimes music can just happen to you. 


Jamie Cullum happened to me one random Friday (or was it a Saturday night?) in 2004 hoping to find a CD to buy at Kmart which was entertainment "back in the day". I don't know what drew me to an album with this goofy moppy-haired dude jumping over a piano, but I'm glad he happened to me. His music is soothing, his voice gifted with the occasional just-right break emphasizing whatever sad or melancholic lyric Cullum is trying to emulate and his lyrics? Oh God, his lyrics are like Yoda meets Ages and Ages in the way they will hit you in your soul and make you want to be a better person. Being born on the cusp of Generation Y, I would be glad to proclaim Cullum the voice (and lyricist) of our generation (suck on that, Lena Dunham!) as his lyrics are full of an old soul wisdom on love, life and the endless search to find ourselves. So how many times, for me, did Jamie Cullum nail life in the lyrics and in no particular order...

"All At Sea"
(Twentysomething, 2004)

"...You don't need it every day
But sometimes don't you just crave
To disappear within your mind
You never know what you might find..."


"I Want to Be a Popstar"
(Pointless Nostalgic, 2003)

"What is it with all these fakers
Seems to make the morning papers?
They're selling records by the million, seems so easy in my opinion..."


"Twentysomething"
(Twentysomething, 2004)

"...Maybe I'll just fall in love
That could solve it all
Philosophers say that that's enough
There surely must be more
Love ain't the answer, nor is work
The truth eludes me so much it hurts
But I'm still having fun and I guess that's the key
I'm a twentysomething and I'm keeping me"


"21st Century Kid"
(Catching Tales, 2005)

"...So who will fantasize
A new generation politicized
When things are done in our own name
Are we as much to blame?"


"London Skies"
(Catching Tales, 2005)

"Nothing is certain except everything you know can change
You worship the sun but now,
Can you fall for the rain?"


"When I Get Famous"
(Momentum, 2013)

"So given knowledge, given time
I'd take us out of recession
I'd tell the world that all was fine
And that there freedom's a blessing
Cause when I'm looking from the top
You'll all seem smaller
Ain't that what all us humans want?
To stand a little bit taller"


"I Love This"
(The Pursuit, 2009)

"It puts it in perspective
If you're feeling too reflective
Just bones and earth remain of what you are
Have you seen the beauty in
The Chaos that surrounds like the stars..."


"The Same Things"
(Momentum, 2013)

"What is a truthful state
Is it the one that you create?
A boat you built for sea
All you need now is some company"


"Edge of Something"
(Momentum, 2013)

"I don't need a vision I'm just waiting on collisions of the brain and heart
I'm patient for decisions and some stormy revelations I can claim from the start..."


"Take Me (Out of Myself)"
(Momentum, 2013)

"There was an age the battered times
Were coiled up around you like a diamond cage
Though your sparkles long resigned
It flickers like the ember of a dying blaze
These might be the last days of the blinding lights
So you and me should go and get so high tonight"