May 21st's A Very PS1-y Vspot

by 1:08 PM
I have made a decision; my lap top comes with me to Iowa City's free public art space (Public Space One) and in so, I will actually make time to write on this blog which I must sadly report I have been rather lax on. So, instead of staring lustfully at the 1.50 baked goods I cannot afford (chocolate, pecan, and caramel scones, you guys!) I am giving you guys awesome musical announcements.
My New Favorite Sisteromance:
Mackenzie Scott and Sharon van Etten

from Torres's twitter account
We can make sisteromance a thing, yeah? Having been in a room with both of these women (but at separate times), it's no question they are both talented as fuck and with auras that just radiate low key awesomeness and the fact that they have collaborated before is no surprise to me. Note their interactions with one another in the recording process of Torres's new song New Skin (also featuring The War on Drugs) around 4:50. How can I be that low key and awesome at the same time?
As for Sharon, the Indie music websites are blowing up with reviews and praise for "Are We There" that will be out NEXT TUESDAY! Ranging from a fantastic interview with Amanda Petrusich for Pitchfork to Stereogum, she is the one to watch; and with good reason as so far her videos for this album are both strange and magical (literally) especially in her latest single, "Every Time the Sun Comes Up" that just breathes the '70s horror host aura. Personally, I would love to see Torres and Sharon in a band together, can this happen, please?





Do You Have 10 Minutes?
Ages and Ages Will Change Your Life.
While I remain very annoyed that my sparse review for Ages and Ages's "Divisionary" never made up on the college radio website, I am completely convinced that this Portland band will, in fact, lead a revolution if not change a person's life. Seeing these folks live is something pretty amazing as they have been opening for Lake Street Dive (another fantastic band) in their latest Colbert-bumped tour and now with help from NPR's Tiny Desk Concert series, you can watch the magic unfold online! I will leave you with a fantastic quote by bandleader, Tim Perry, that encompasses what Divisionary really means.
‘Divisionary’ signifies a group whose vision of ‘right’ is upsetting to the existing power structure. It includes a philosophical, spiritual, and physical ‘breaking off’ from the status quo. It also references the individual inner conflicts that arise as you struggle to make the right choices in life. Visionaries don’t always create conflict, but they challenge the establishment with new ideas and with the threat of change. Where there is change, there is usually resistance, controversy, division.
Margaret Berger, It's About Damn Time!


Since the release of "Scream" only two months ago, Margaret has been making me salivating, yearning, wishing -- every verb in the dictionary (both Norwegian and English) -- to hear more from this new electropop sound she's acquired. It's darker and sleeker than "Robot Song" or "Will You Still Remember Me Tomorrow" but every new song release has proven that this next album will be something special.  And two inches closer to this TBA-dated album, Margaret finally released the horror movie inspired "Scream," full of interpretive dance and beautiful close-ups of our star baring truth that we don't know her as well as we think we do. And of course, like in "I Feed You My Love," it's all in black and white.

After watching the making-of video, oh Margaret, be my best friend! I cook and I have great taste!






Move a Little Over, "Crazy Something Normal," This is My New Favorite Song
...Because Nylon Magazine has fantastic taste covering L.A.-based band Holychild and their new EP, Mind Speak which comes out in the fall. So if Nylon Magazine says they're awesome, I must wholeheartedly agree especially since their first single "Happy With Me" has a little more to it than just a fun dance-y song.
."Happy With Me' is spawned from the incessant images that are pushed at women daily, and my personal difficulty interacting as a human and not being pressured to look, act, or speak a certain way. Ultimately, it's a plea to the audience: 'Fuck our cultural norms, live like me outside of those boundaries.'" 
Liz Nistico, I think I love you a little... and you're pretty!



Lzzy Hale Joins Lindsey Stirling
And Generates Awesomeness
I do not know a whole lot about Lzzy Hale and her rock band, Halestorm except for the fact that some of my lesbian fans have huge... well, fandoms attached to the enigmatic singer and musician. So with her rock-trained vocals it seems almost perfect kismet that she fits so well with Stirling's classical but wonderfully dorky edge resulting in "Shatter Me." And it is amazing and beautiful