My Mission Creek Week

by 8:33 PM
There's an unfortunate truth when it comes to one of the most magical times of the year; those who get a paycheck higher than 150 dollars who "truly" enjoy Mission Creek Festival with a silver pass that costs my average paycheck (if I'm lucky). Magically, I think I had kind of a fun time...

Day One: Tuesday, April 1
 
5:00 Kat McDowell at Filmscene's Mission Creek Happy Hour
 
7:00 Energy Boost in form of a bottle of Fuze at Bread Garden
 
8:00 Doors Open at Gabe's for Warpaint
 
9:00 Annalibera (or as I call them, Metric Jr.) on stage at Gabe's
 
10:00 Alex Body on stage being awesome as always! My legs were vibrating, yo.
 
11:00 WARPAINT!!!!
 
Left around 12:30, too many people invading my bubble.
 
Day Two: Wednesday, April 2
 
5:00 Tom Northnagle at Filmscene's Happy Hour
 
5:45 Serendipitous chance meeting with a lovely electronic musician in town for Philip Glass. #WomanCrushWednesday was never more appropriate!
 
Margaret...
 
 
 
6:20 Kembrew McLeod Reading, another localite to be obsessed with because the following is his fault.
 
 
7:00 KRUI Pizza Party at The Mill where B shoves as many types of pizza into her stomach, including a strange spicy and hummus-y based pizza that was too much for her.
 
8:00 John June Year before covering my favorite Monkees song ("Not Your Steppin' Stone")
 
 
 
9:00 The Olympics on stage. Wasn't really my kind of music but stayed halfway through.
 
Day 3: Thursday, April 3
 
5:00 River Glen at Filmscene's Happy Hour
 
6:15 Strapping on a white shirt and a somewhat friendly face hoping that I won't make anyone cry aka. ushering at The Englert
 
7:30 Holy electronic ambience, Oneohtrix Point Never! Too bad people left during you and never came back... not even to come back for Mr. Glass!
 
8:00 Philip Glass. *cue angel sounds*
 
Day 4: Friday, April 4
 
2:00 My Friday Tradition, although not Mission Creek-induced, with Iowa Public Radio's Java Blend
 
4:00 Alexis Stevens and Brian Johannesen at in-store concert in Record Collector
 
5:00 The infamous lit crawl at Filmscene...
 
 
6:00 ... and a little time at Revival with one of my home-skillets
 
6:15 Time to Usher...
 
8:00 Basia Bulat on stage at The Englert
 
9:00 The Head and the Heart and I name this picture: Tall Peeps be tall
 
3:00 AM, finally passed out with one hand in a bag of mini Cadbury eggs and blissed out on Grimm. It's a hard life.
 
Saturday: April 5
 
1:00 Downtown to sedate myself with Bread Garden coffee for this girl does not trust herself at the Lit Fair. Must... stay... calm.
 
1:30-3:00 Iowa City Book and Lit Fair. Had a few awkward moments and things that I just don't want to talk about right now but after 12 ounces of an iced soy caramel latte and 10 dollar spent on a book from Rescue Press... oh hey, Rescue Press...
 
 
... as I was saying. After coffee, 10 dollars and feeling a little emotionally invaded, it was better than last year.
 
3:20 My favorite part, Mission Boutique! Free little 25 minute pop up concerts/readings in/around stores downtown.
 
Golden Birds at Catherine's
 
4:00 Tim Denevi at RSVP reading an AMAZING essay on the historical Jesus. Can someone get me this essay? Please?
 
And after a half hour of hoping for 5 DOLLAR purses at Mayfair (boo!), taking DVDs back to the library, and a quick CVS run, thus ends my Mission Creek week since the buses don't run on Sundays.
 
But I think this home-made goulash (which was finally done by 10 pm but so worth it!)...
...concluded a magical and exhausting week. I'm still recuperating!


0 remarks:

Post a Comment