September 9th's "Hot Hot Love" Vspot

by 3:00 PM
Tis the season for hit-or-miss trending topics that range from impending fashion trends to some good honest new sitcoms coming on TV (Goodbye Charlie Party-Boy Sheen and holla for a Cedar Rapids born and bred Ashton Kutcher). But as for my personal tastes, it's been stale for a few weeks until I'm finally able to compile enough for this weeks "Hot Hot Love" Vspot.

Rosi Golan Concert

 Rosi Golan Little Village Live at Public Space 1 August 31st

 This show truly blew my face off into a million pieces and if things went the way I had hoped, I would have scored the best free concert of my life. Rosi, with her new release of "Lead Balloon", had been on tour with Iowa City native Jason Reeves and stopped by Public Space 1 (Hipster Basement) for Little Village Live before playing the Mill later that night. 

So maybe radio-people lost the internet connection for a few minutes and Rosi sat down on the bench in front of me, mind you there are only 5 people there as viewers and she personally asked me if I wanted a spot on her guest list for the Mill that night, she was missing one -- and was asking around for a gluten-free meal. Naturally since I'm a God at recommendations (not really), I suggested Mama's and had to decline the offer (broke girl + cab money, you know.) FAIL! It would have been epic. I had listened to her for about 2 years with her chirpy "Shine" and a date-worthy duet with William Fitzsimmons "Hazy." So really, this was epic and face-melting.




Bitchy "Cruel" Analysis

 Another blog-analysis that would make everyone at Bitch Media proud... it would be more effective to show their opinion of Suckerpunch but both the bloggers and the zine writers have been getting on my last nerve. Where does art and interpretation begin and end or is it interchangeable? And if it is interchangeable, where in gay hell do they get off creating every single pop media that comes their way like it's misogynist even if it isn't? But with my irritation aside, this is a good pondering analysis. What does St. Vincent say to you? (She says to me she's an electric guitar rock Goddess)

Aqua replaces Barbie Girl to "Fucking like Robots"



 By the power of Scandi-pop I give you... Aqua. Really? Trading in their barbies for robots and being a "Playmate to Jesus" at least they are consistent! Just finding out about this new double A-side single today, I find myself oddly excited between Le Kid burning up blogs all over the place and their grandparents in song, Aqua, coming back. I love me some shamelessly slutty-slutty dance music, myself.




Christina Ricci showing love-filled angst of short girl fashion



Christina Ricci, 90s child star and now a stunning 60s Pan Am stewardess tells Nylon the perfect fashion commandment, possibly without even knowing it. "When you're as short as me, you have to kind of know [your] proportions. I spend so much time in fittings and looking in the mirror, so at a certain point you kind of become aware of what works." Ricci, at 5'1" is probably smaller than the average woman at 5'4" like me, but she really does speak the truth on how to dress for your size and height. Thank you!!

Kathleen Edwards feat. Bon Iver "Wapusk"

 As a contender for a perfect Fall song (Bon Iver and Justin Vernon have a gift for making music sound fall-like), Edwards and Vernon create some hot hot sex in the sheets and music  with "Wapusk." As for the question if this will be on a future Bon Iver album? Only time will tell.



Next XL Fashion Model?

American Apparel is looking for the Next XL Fashion Model, and it could be anyone that is a healthy size 12 (really?) even Nancy Upton, tumblr extraordinaire for  the account extrawiggleroom. I'm starting to see a pattern when it comes to women sizes, and blogger Kelsey Wallace touches base on this: if the acceptable model size is too small she's considered under-nourished even if she could be healthy and a plus size model is too large, healthy or not, have more rules on posing to actually look thinner.

Is American Apparel going to make this barrier even wider, like a facebook commenter on this article said, "leaving a stamp on her forehead of FAT GIRL" So American Apparel shouldn't bother finding an XL lady and just keep hiring girls that give me the effect of wanting to shove an entire extra large pizza in their mouth? While many advertising campaigns are moving forward with body-acceptance yet the standards of beauty is still stuck in drive and at the fork at the road of contradictions. Need a help there, fashion week?

(I'm not much of a fan of any of those pictures, as they are seeming to dig the knife in a little more for any woman larger than I am and being a previous "fat girl" I cannot seem to look away at the above picture without feeling a mixture of "Yeah, girl!" and disgusted at it. Is there a middle line between making fun of weight versus objectifying it?)

Impending album for Alt-Christmas Music lovers... 

Zooey Deschanel in Elf

Although October is too soon for a Christmas album, Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward are back together making some sweet-sweet Indie music. But this time, they are tackling some Christmas standards, which makes the whole Bing Crosby-Holiday Inn music seem less grating including a duet of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" harkening Deschanel back a few years when she sang with Will Ferrell in the holiday comedy"Elf". I am a lover of original Alt-Christmas (and you all cannot WAIT for that playlist, I can tell), if there is one on the album that sounds good, I'm not going to deny the power of Zooey. Can anyone really deny her? Besides the stereogum elitists?

0 remarks:

Post a Comment