Top 5 Uh-May-Zing Nail Colors for Summer

by 9:09 PM
I spend a lot of time in the nail polish aisle in CVS, comparing colors, escaping the security cameras in my insecurity that it doesn't seem right really seeing what the color is versus the bottle color - let's just say, I've seen a lot of nail color and now Musings from Manhattan doesn't seem to help this new obsession of getting just the right nail color that hits all the rules in my book. 

1. Appropriate color for skin tone (olive skin tone)
2. Appropriate color to make my fingers a little shorter
and. 
3. Appropriate color to make my fingers less boney

While I'm always on the hunt for new colors - here are the 5 uh-may-zing nail colors from my little summer collection.

Honeysuckle is the "it" color for summer, or so it was said in nail polish articles last December - and it's a happy color just like yellow with all the endorphins and chemicals that make you happy in the head. This is more like the honeysuckle lite - Essie's "Cute as a Button" which is a collision of pink and coral but a little more pink in daylight. Essie, despite finally giving up my nothing above three dollars deal with nail polish, is probably one of those every so-often brand purchases. Because let's face it, it holds up a lot better than Confetti.


My initial love for Essie came straight from the pages of Nylon... hmm.... that's surprising. But instead of getting "Absolutely Shore", which probably would have washed me out without even testing it first, I found myself buying "Turquoise and Caicos" instead which has done my skin color multiple favors. It's bright, but not too candyish that it distracts me from doing everyday tasks - that's why I can't wear extremely shimmery or glittery polish. But even though turquoise is kind of last summer's color I don't pay attention to nail polish trends too closely.  Really I don't!




In terms of all durability rules, KleanColor is the best and I get it for three bucks at my favorite gift shop/local jewelry-accessory gallery otherwise known as Silver Spider. Unfortunately the color "Sapphire" is not as it shows up on image, but it has almost a denim blue-ish green look to it hence the appropriate nickname I have given it is "Mr. Little Jeans" in honor of Ms. Birkenes. Have I mentioned I love her lately? It's more than just a muted blue, it's a little green, a little silver but somehow it manages to look slightly denim. Hipster-approved.






It's a crazy thin polish and it takes about four coats to get it completely covered and candied-bright but... this type of color is worth it. Confetti isn't my number one favorite brand but if you're on a tight budget the two dollar polish is worth it ... but maybe a different color. However, I love the color mix that is a deeper turquoise (it's my birthstone after all...) and an ever so slight pale green shimmer. < 3







What Am I Wearing Right Now?


During my great grail search that is the perfect peach color has yet to come to a close but Revlon Top Speed Peachy is damned good right now. It's a little of everything - it's peach but not totally pink, it's orange but not totally citrusy. Plus, in sunlight it even looks a little gold. Perfect. Well... for now.








What's Next?

I'm always on the hunt for the perfect peach color, of course, but as I've been writing this I've updated myself at MFM... so possibly next is Essie's Lapis of Luxury. I love me a beautiful light cornfloral blue as long as it looks good with olive skin. Essie's Your Hut or Mine looks damn tempting as well. Who wants to buy me nail polish?

0 remarks:

Post a Comment