January 17th's Junk Food Fuelled VSpot

by 9:33 PM
Between slices of a cheap frozen Mexican pizza, homemade chocolate chip cookies and a big bottle of Lipton tea limeade while simultaneously watching the Marvelverse and creating essays in my mind on what drives me stupid crazy about it, I give you the things that have filled up my "vspot" bookmark folder for the past few weeks.



Penny Dreadful Season 2 Trailer


... and it's absolutely beautiful! John Logan's love letter to the depths and dark places of the human condition and the struggle to be authentic is just as Gothic and beautiful as ever! Maybe even more so as Eva Green goes deeper into herself with those stunning Bitsie Tulloch-like cheekbones. But after season 1 being so spottish I am both excited (mostly the gift of visual editing does that to this girl) and worried that Logan's strange plot devices might blow up like it had prior. But this immersing show for the senses does not disappoint with Helen McCrory's "An Unquiet Grave" playing in the background until you realize... holy shit! ... it's Madame Kali having an Elizabeth Bathory-esque bath

In Season 2, at least from first glance, Logan's "League of Literary Gentlemen" seem to break up, Ethan Chandler starts to realize the repercussions and comes to grips with his blublad -- sorry, wrong show -- werewolf ways, Dorian Gray (Reeves) pines for Eva Green who seems to go on sabbatical to a more colorful but equally desolate landscape. Caliban feels human touch, Chandler cleanses the "LLG" headquarters, and the Bride of Caliban experiment works (of course). 

Season 2 looks like it will be shaping up to be a wonderful feast for Victorian old souls of this world. But it's my hope as both a serious writer and obviously a little of a Victorian old soul in myself hopes for an overall arc that will not stop dead in its tracks like season one. Plus, the use of Danny Sampani (Sembene) as Murray's faithful servant in the trailer gives me hope that maybe it won't entirely be the "Eva Green Show" but "Penny Dreadful" can go so many different directions. I only ask, Logan, bring me on as a script writer!! Pretty please?



It May Not Be Christmas Anymore, but 
This Live Version of Hey Rosetta's 
"Carry Me Home" is Absolutely Beautiful!...


...
and They Also Have a New Video!


Here on muchmusic.com

Because a "Backstreet's Back" Reference is Just too Easy... 


I am so excited for this, you have no idea! Basically documenting the time five best friends and brothers (oh, how many times have we read that in the thank you notes!) moved into a house in London, where they composed and recorded their newest album "In a World Like This." Like all reality shows that show multiple personalities living under one roof without their families or wives, magic happens, music is made, friendships solidify harder but not without a little drama. This is where I cue the trailer where Nick blows up, "I'm not afraid of you anymore." Online commenters speculate that might be directed towards my Backstreet Boy, the strong and silent Kevin Richardson.
 
STWYMO will be full of the Backstreet history of boy band-dom (whether or not it will be intertwined with the modern day is anyone's guess), the fantastic songs that came off the latest album, including "In a World Like This," "Madeline" and the title song, and basically exhibiting the question asked in the trailer, "What do you do when you're a full grown man in a boy band?" If anyone needs me January 30th, you can find me at one of the local movie theaters. 
Hey Geronimo's Lazer Gun Show LIVE 


Although this video is a few months old my favorite Australian band Hey Geronimo literally JUST put this video up on YouTube. Promoting 2 songs on Australia's The Children's Hospital Telethon, this is one of the rarest moments to see the band in live form with less crappy audio. I so approve this it hurts! You can also find all of the lyrics to their songs on their website, finally!
Linnea Olsson Fleeting Performance on P3 Guild


I had a conversation with a friend a few weeks ago that while she seemed to be more of a violin personality, I seem to be more of the cello although I do love the violin. As the list of my favorite cellists grows, Linnea Olsson is my current cello-girl-crush at the moment. Literally just today, this quirky performer posted a fleeting but beautiful performance on Sweden's Top of the Pops-esque "P3 Guild." The performance only runs until 2:15.