The Underrated Songs of Spice Girls

by 7:24 PM

Admit it, you liked the Spice Girls to a degree  back in the day... and maybe you still do. But the endless spin of the gargantuan hits like "Wannabe" or "Spice Up Your Life" certainly cannot suffice you forever. I for one, have always preferred the songs that came up after their huge hits. Has anyone not noticed that after track 3 you got bored with their albums? Yeah, I haven't.

Click on the song for the video.


Spiceworld (1997)

While "Stop" has not hit big numbers in America, it has been respected all across the UK and Europe in its Mo-Town bounciness as if you're a Spice nerd like me, you can't help but not do the dance moves throughout the whole song. This is indeed a dance-able tune and even the video humanize the girls a bit without the outlandish costumes and ridiculous lyrics like in "Wannabe" (I'm sorry, not a fan).


Spiceworld (1997)

Truthfully, I love the message songs that the Spice Girls sing as it has always been about "girl power" but there is something in the undertone of "Do It" and "Move Over" that says more about the general girl power and all about women having self respect. Now that is something I'm not hearing in Selena Gomez or Miley Cyrus songs nowadays.


SPICE (1996)

If I had to organize into a list of my favorite Spice Girls songs, this one would definitely be my second most favorite and not just because, again, I knew and still know all of the dance moves. (And no, I will not dance them for you people.) It's fun, dance-able, and God damn it, if you haven't seen the girls having legitimate fun in any of their videos, they are having fun in this one and it shows in the lip-synced music.


Spiceworld (1997)

As my number one favorite Spice Girls song, I am rather biased as to why this must be included in my list. But as a message song (and unfortunately under the influence of Pepsi), this song is bad ass. "Let me tell you 'bout a thing, gotta put it to the test/It's a celebration, motivation, generation next/Well sow me the seed, every color every creed/Teach never preach, listen up take heed."


Spiceworld (1997)

As much as I love my Spice Girls quirky and stunning (the latter goes straight to Victoria Beckham, who is my personal soul sister and spirit guide), I do love the sensitive songs that come out of both albums. I will get to "Naked" later, but "Viva Forever" is an evolved "Naked" that slowly closes out Spiceworld with an otherworldly breeze. It almost seems ironic and sad choice to put this song in Spiceworld as this was the last album Geri Halliwell took part in because life continues even after a band slowly dismembers itself.


SPICE (1996)

A lovely little gem towards the end of Spice that includes Geri Haliwell speaking in Spanish and a lot of dance-y beats. Yes, even I know the dance moves in the video; remember pay-per-view? I watched that concert down to the bone... and every choreography step. And no, I'm not going to show you.

Spiceworld (1997)

This is one my favorite Spice Girls songs ever and not just because I have a soft spot when media references one another. "The Lady is a Vamp" is chock full of them: Elvis Presley, James Bond, Doctor No, Twiggy, Jackie O, JFK, Marilyn Monroe, Sandy Denny among many other more veiled references. The Spice Girls Wikia actually cites this song as "some kind of tribute to old stars that made Girl Power before them."

SPICE (1996)

When I was listening to this when I was younger, I always thought there was something about "Naked" I couldn't quite put my finger on why I liked it so much. Maybe it's the creepiness or Emma Bunton's gorgeous monologue with that music, I don't know. I love it and it's creepy. 

Spiceworld SOUNDTRACK (1997)

I have always had a soft spot for this cover (which I didn't know was a cover until I researched the song) and the ridiculously cheesy performance complete with chest-flexing male dancers. Now the fact that it's a Gary Glitter Cover -- despite all the pedo-ness -- this is pretty amazing.. and ridiculously cheesy.

0 remarks:

Post a Comment